pic

pic

Sunday, June 19, 2016

 Food,
Glorious Food! 

Our world is so very fortunate to be plum full of delicious, delectable, and diverse culinary creations that provide the opportunity to expand our palettes, as well as, our children’s palettes. I adore food; from planting vegetables, fruits, herbs, and other natural morsels, to creating and sharing wholesome and quick recipes for all dietary needs.  Also I love the process of growing vegetables & fruits and discussing how to use Mother Nature’s bounty in a variety of recipes. In fact, I share and cultivate my food passion with my friends, family, and extended family of children, parents, grandparents and caregivers at the Marple Public Library and Trader Joe’s. My absolute favorite responses I hear from my kiddos are how much they enjoyed trying new foods with their family members and how excited they were to experiment with these new foods. Continuing to keep these young exploratory minds interested and involved with what they eat and having them become part of the process is a large feat.  It truly “takes a village”.

The process of encouraging our children to, “try new things” can be very frustrating, but also extremely rewarding in the same breath.  The words, “try and try again” are always resounding in my mind.  Foods with a variety of taste, texture, color, and smell can often be an initial barrier to our young chefs as they may be unfamiliar.  Another layer of compounded frustration may be food allergies. Coming from someone who has food allergies, it can be overwhelming to find substitutions and alternatives for our everyday diet.  The tables can be turned in a positive way by fusing the diversity of our food world with fantastic recipes that can still taste sensational. Learning together, this process can become fun and hopefully less stressful.
‘Out of the box’ ways to get us trying new foods and finding substitutions and alternative foods are starting a garden or going to your local farmer’s market to sample some local fare.  These are always creative ways to broaden that heightened sense of exploration for your children, as well as, us adults. Many of the Farmer’s Markets have themed days with extra special events, free samples and great musicians; all free to the public. Pick out an assortment of fruits and vegetables together to make your own food creations along with sharing in some memories that will last a lifetime. Ask the farmers and vendors if they have recommended recipes for their fruits and vegetables.  Take some of these recipes home and start your own cookbook that you and your child can add to over time and continue your explorations.  Also, these farmers and vendors have alternatives and substitutions for many common food allergies.

One of my fondest memories from my treasure trove of memories has to be when my grandfather would start his garden every year. He would include me in every step of the process from tilling soil and planting the seeds to watering each day and filling the compost pile to create rich and dark fertilizer. As a child, it gave me the greatest sense of accomplishment when I saw what we were growing and how these delicious tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, peas, figs and other goodies could be turned into so many extraordinary culinary creations. Until this day, thinking about those times still makes my mouth water; especially when I think of all the homemade sauce that would fill our fridge throughout the winter to the summer months. I still carry on that tradition myself with my own family, and with each recipe I make, conjures up the memories of those that I love oh so very much. My garden still grows every summer, although not to the size of my grandfather’s garden, but still produces some natural jewels.

Come and join me this season and every season thereafter with your ‘locavore’ quest to read about and plant your favorite fruits & vegetables,  check out a local farmer’s market, share some tantalizing healthy recipes, and encourage each other to grow together.

Miss Mel


“We have a little garden,
A garden of our own,
And every day we water there
The seeds that we have sown.
 We love our little garden,
And tend it with such care,
You will not find a faded leaf
Or blighted blossom there.”


-Beatrix Potter


Check out these fantastic book selections at Marple Public Library for kids and parents:




Websites for food exploration with kids:





No comments:

Post a Comment