pic

pic

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Gardening with Kids!

Today I woke up to find that lost friend, the sun, shining through my window.  The daily forecast of rain has been the source of conversation among our staff and visitors to the library. It amazes me how much the weather affects plants and flowers and behavior as well. My recently planted flowers seemed to perk up this morning along with my mood! Gardening has become a passion of mine.
 
Every Mother’s Day my 2 grown children purchase plants and flowers and we all spend the day planting. Then with my care and nurturing throughout the summer I am able to see these gifts grow and thrive and become visual joys for me – just as I have seen in my children. I strongly recommend introducing gardening to your children! The ability to plant together and watch things grow because of their care is a wonderful experience. So much is learned in this family activity. Starting a small family garden is a great way to show kids how their food gets on their plate, connect them with nature and to get them outside, and maybe best of all -- to keep them busy all summer long! Small gardens are great for kids of all ages. Toddlers will love using a small watering can to help out, preschoolers will love seeing a tomato ripen, and school aged children will love learning how to pick, wash and cook what they grew. 

We have a great selection of books and "Park Packs" available at Marple Library. We are also offering free circulating passes to the Morris Arboretum (a garden that features awesome activities for kids).          

No comments:

Post a Comment